Pogues, Papers, Printers, and Plumbing

Talk on the Jabberboard this morning inspired me to listen to “Red Roses For Me” by the Pogues. Nothing like Irish music to get you fired up in the morning. It was a good time.

Yesterday I took the day off to work on a couple of papers that are due tonight for one of my Employment Law classes. The assignment was given to us with little to no direction, and my papers (we had to write one for each side, Plaintiff and Defendant) are both very short and sweet. I think they’ll work, though.

Yesterday morning, while I was trying to work on said papers, I realized that I was having catastrophic problems with my printer at home. The catastrophe in this equation was that it wasn’t printing anything. It never ceases to amaze me how some piece of technology will always work like a charm, right up to the point where you actually need it to work. That’s when it craps out on you. Well, long story short, it turned out that I just needed to install new drivers on both of the computers in question. This brings me to another point of confusion, and perhaps one of my more techy friends can enlighten me:

These drivers “make the printer go”. WHY in the world would the ones that I got when I purchased the printer suddenly STOP working? How stupid is that? Really stupid. Do they just somehow magically expire? Whoops! I guess this doesn’t work any more! Ha ha, no more printing for you!!! That just doesn’t make sense to me at all. Perhaps I’m analogizing it incorrectly with other things in life, but to me this seems like, for example, if my car were to suddenly switch from running on gas to running on urine, with me having done nothing whatsoever to cause the switch. Just one day, voila! Urine makes it go. Gas makes it do nothing at all. The car decided this for itself.

Heh heh, I can’t wait to see the comment field on this one. That’s fine by me, I love comments. ;)

Finals time is suddenly upon me. It’s a bit stressful, but not nearly as stressful as usual. I have plenty of time between finals this year, and really I’m not scared about any of them…yet. We’ll see.

In other news, I now have a wonderfully working sink. The guy that fixed it took well over two hours to get the thing back together and clog free. Wow – that makes me feel a lot better about my own lack of ability in the plumbing arena. Furthermore, he charged very little for the job, and is just an all around awesome handy man. I won’t advertise on my blog, but if ever any of you need something done that requires handyness that you yourself don’t possess, I’d be happy to give you this guy’s number.

3 comments:

areabassist said...

So they were pretty handy with the 'ol pipe snake? Cleaned out the pipes? Cliched euphemism in the 'ol tired analogy?

With printer drivers, I think it's more of an issue with updated OS's and software instead of the printer drivers themselves.

Ben said...

There you go ruining my perfectly fallacious analogies.

rhyan/djay said...

[INSERT SMART-ASS COMMENT ABOUT USER ERROR HERE]

;^)