One moment

Sometimes I marvel at the way I can go through an entire day in a foul mood, and one little moment can change the entire thing. My moment tonight happened during my drive home from school, but in order to properly share it, I have to go through all of the events of the day.

Work sucked. I know that I'm a member of the majority of the populous when I say that. Work always sucks, if it didn't, it wouldn't be work. OK, I totally acknowledge that that's a lie. Work doesn't always suck, sometimes it can even be fun. The overwhelming majority of the time, though, it's just work. Today sucked.

We're going through a large restructuring of the positions in my department. Perhaps my perspective is skewed because of the position that I'm in, but it seems from my point of view that this "restructure" is actually just an excuse for everyone in the entire department to dump a heaping helping of crap that they don't want to do onto the low man on the totem pole. Guess who that is? Oh, you got it. Good 'ol me. Seriously, you'd think that putting 5 years in at a place would get you a little higher up the corporate ladder. No such luck. Please, if anyone happens to be reading this and wants to give me a job, I'm at least a thousand times smarter than the average middle manager. Hire me. Ignore that whole "no management experience" thing. I have the ability to adapt and learn, as opposed to the typical managerial lack of sense. I also have the ability to go off on tangents.

After a long day of that crap at work, I went to class. With only three weeks left of the semester, I'm battling a severe lack of motivation in regard to my schoolin'. I sucked it up, though, and sat through the two hours.

I was driving back, still feeling foul from my day, when I looked up into the clear spring sky and saw a sliver of a crescent moon. Right there was my moment. Seeing that moon instantly filled me with overwhelming love for my daughter, by way of a kind of funny train of thought. "Moon" was one of the very first words she learned -- one of the very first shapes she recognized. As I looked up at that moon, I pictured her, sitting next to me looking at a night sky this summer and pointing to the moon. It was surreal, like a glance into a more-than-just-possible future, and it was both touching and encouraging. I have a lot to look forward to.

It's moments like that that enable me to continue plugging away at school and make it to summer. Just thought I'd share. And just like that, it's time to do some homework.

No comments: