Plumbing woes

Yesterday was simply gorgeous weather, and today is more of the same. The big difference between yesterday and today, though, is that today I’m stuck at work. Alas for Mondays.

Yesterday was weird. Kerry had to work, and that always increases the weird factor, just because she’s not around. What really made it a pretty lame day was the plumbing disaster that we experienced. Going into yesterday I thought that plumbing was just the connection of a series of tubes, and really wasn’t that big a deal. Now I understand the necessity of plumbers.

It all started with a clog in my bathroom sink. The little teeny sink-sized plunger was no match for this clog, so I brought out the big guns: The snake. I shoved it into the pipe and tried to fight this clog. In doing so, I somehow shoved the whole drain pipe off of the sink. Smelly, disgusting water was suddenly covering my bathroom floor. Not cool.

After finally procuring a wrench that was able to properly disassemble the rigging beneath my sink, I found myself with a severe backache and pieces of pipe that I was completely unable to put back together. OK, that’s not entirely true. I knew exactly how they went together; there was just simply no existing way to put it back onto the sink. I don’t know if it had been soldered before or something, but there were no threads, nuts, or any other means of fusing the pipe to the drain. All of my wrenching efforts were in vain. The plumber was called this morning. As a plus, I now have an awesome monkey wrench. Even if I never have to use it again, the board game “Clue” has taught me that a nice monkey wrench is a viable murder weapon, and one can never have too many of those. I digress.

Before the whole plumbing fiasco on Sunday, there was a Saturday that I have as of yet failed to mention. Most of the day was pretty uneventful, but that evening Ryan, Lundo, Amy, and Brian came over to eat a whole crapload of chicken wings and play some Settlers of Catan. Much fun was had, much beer was had, and life was good.

I’m sure I’ve mentioned it already, but when I have a whole bunch of people over to hang out, and beer is involved, I never have a good morning the next day. Not because I’m hung over or anything; I worry because I think that I said something stupid that would make my friends think less of me. More than the beer, the simple fact of being a social host sometimes causes me to just…verbally vomit. Some sort of subconscious thing within me (insecurity, mayhap?) causes me to just constantly try and fill any silence. When you add any amount of alcohol to the mix, I talk louder, faster, and much, much more. My apologies to everyone that came over – I hope I wasn’t too annoying.

2 comments:

areabassist said...

You just need to switch to the beverage that makes you witty and full of snark, yet charming.

As for plumbers, i saw an investigative report about this really buff plumber guy who shows up at a sorority house to "lay some pipe", and for whatever reason all the sorority girls are all wearing lingerie. Anyway, he didn't really do a very good job fixing the sink. I probably wouldn't hire him.

Ben said...

In related news, your favorite Thai restaurant and favorite channel are both called "spice"