Disjointed Ramblings

Wooohoo, no ring for Randy Moss! OK seriously, I wasn’t rooting for either team to win until I saw Randy Moss’ stupid little “parting the sea” gesture after getting a touchdown. From that point I wanted him to lose.

That sort of thinking brings me back to sessions of Magic: The Gathering with all of my nerdcore cronies from high school (almost all of whom I still hang out with, nigh on 15 years later). We would have big games of 4+ players, and the sessions would get pretty heated, as only collectible card games can get. (This paragraph has already secured my seat in nerd Valhalla. It will only get worse from here.) Whenever someone would beat Lundo, he would stop caring about winning the next game. His purpose for existence in the next round would only be to wipe out the person that had beaten him. Wonderful times.

Just talking about it makes me want to get together and play some D&D. Gentle readers, let’s plan something. We can do this! D&D or Risk or Axis and Allies or Shadowrun or Magic or Hero Quest or COME ON TRAVIS I KNOW YOU’RE FEELIN’ THIS!!! ;) .

I started my Sleazy Oral B album, and I have a song basically recorded. I haven’t done the bridge yet, but I think I’ll post what I’ve got so far this evening, just as sort of a teaser. Hah. I’ve also made the (quite probably poor) decision to use nothing but stock Garage Band loops for all of the music and beats. Does that mean I have to pay royalties to Apple on all of the millions and millions of dollaz that this record is going to make? I thought I read somewhere that GB loops were all public domain or something. No idea, and I don’t feel like researching.

I went super crazy with Virtual Console this weekend, and downloaded Super Mario 3, StarTropics, Beyond Oasis, and Street Fighter 2. Playing those games is awesome, but it’s had an interesting nostalgia side effect. It brought me back to B3ns0n at age 14, and started making me really sad and tense about going back. In all honesty, there were times back then that I was more than a bit of an asshole. I hope that the people of my once and future community realize that I was a kid then. Sorry for that odd bit of solemnity.

2 comments:

areabassist said...

You had me at D&D.

As for Garageband loops, they're all public domain, so you should be golden when you sell a billion copies.

My big fear about moving back to my hometown (someday, hopefully) is that I'll be bored silly, and that my kids (someday, maybe) will go through the same boredom and alientaion issues as I did. Of course, karma has dictated that my wife and I will raise a quarterback and the prom queen, so there is that.....

Besides, if we do move back home, we'll be closer to you guys than we are now. LOL.

Ben said...

So true! So...you should! ;)