Back to the grind

Well, I'm back at work today after a long weekend. It turns out that my daughter wasn’t sick after all. She had thrown up, yeah, but it was probably because of something funky that she ate. She was perfectly awesome all day yesterday, and cute as can be.

So while she and I were hanging out, I popped in Star Wars Episode One. She learned how to say “Jar-Jar”, and now I feel unclean. Oh well. She also surprised me by picking up a little hot wheels car and making “VROOM!” noises. No idea where she picked that one up, but it was ADORABLE.

We had a fun weekend, despite the cold. (-40 wind chill!) On Saturday the three of us went up to Champlin and visited the Nashes. We got to meet the twins, and they were tiny and adorable. I can’t believe that Gwen was once that little. Heck, I can’t believe that their oldest boy is as big as he is, because it really wasn’t very long ago at all that he was a super-teeny baby. Time goes WAY TOO FAST, but so far it keeps getting better. I may reassess that view if I break a hip or something.

Sunday, the really cold day, we went up to my Grandparents’ house for my Grandpa’s 88th birthday. It was a great time. The first part of the festivities involved coffee and cake in the church basement. (How Lutheran is that? Classic.) They live in a very small community with a well-attended church, and the basement was PACKED. Everyone sang happy birthday to my Grandpa, who is kind of a big deal up in those parts. He’s an amazing guy, and we’re blessed to have him.

We went to my Grandparents’ house for a huge dinner afterwards, with the majority of my family on my mom’s side. All of her brothers were there, with their spouses and most of their kids and kids’ spouses. It’s always so wonderful to get the family together. My Dad said Grace for all of us (funny that they make their only son-in-law say Grace), and he said something to the effect of, “We thank you for Ray, who we’re celebrating today. He’s the founder of the family, and without him none of this would be possible.” Looking around at all of the faces there (ranging in age from 88 years down to 15 months) and knowing that those words were totally true made it a very touching moment.

2 comments:

rhyan/djay said...

One of the speakers at the Catholic marriage classes talked about how when you get married and have kids, what you're really doing is starting a civilization.

areabassist said...

I never really thought about children as starting a civilization. I should probably get started soon..... b33n3r is already way ahead of my in terms of population, and if he discovers the secret of gunpowder or sail, i'm screwed!

Seriously, though.... that's cool. I have a picture of myself, my grandfather, and myself from a few years back that is pretty awesome.