I loathe technology

OK, I'll acknowledge that technology brings some wonderful things. In fact, I've become absolutely dependent on some of them, and have no idea what I did before these innovations came about. My computer, the internet, my iPod, cell phones, etc. The problem that I have, and the source of an overabundance of frustration, is that nothing ever works the way it's supposed to.

I realize that anything I say on this will either make me look stupid or crabby. Whatever. One example is my internet connection. When (for whatever reason) my connection at home is slow, or even worse not working at all, it makes me want to break things. Large things. Another prime one is my email at work. For some reason or maybe for a multitude of reasons, it will randomly start taking a ton of time to send or receive messages.

Now I totally understand that these things are normal. I understand that they happen for a number of reasons. That does nothing to stop my pissed offedness, however. In my (naive) opinion, technological wonders (or terrors, in the case of the Death Star) should WORK THE WAY THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO. Ahh, wishful thinking. Just too many darn variables involved, I suppose. A hammer is also a tool that should work like it's supposed to. There are much fewer things that can go wrong with a hammer, but I've been using one that had its head fall off. Suddenly this tool stopped working. I imagine that each little bitty part inside my devices of awesomeness also has a chance of behaving the way that hammer's head did. It still doesn't stop my anger. (I imagine that rhyno is feelin' this right here, as he just sent me an email that mentioned "catastrophic hard drive failure". Yikes.)

The email thing has caused a phenomenon in my mind that I've named "email blueballs". Pardon my crudeness. This is the situation that occurrs when I send out an email and don't get a reply. (Wait, stop. I'm not trying to accuse any of you here. This is just a thing in my head.) The problem that I have is that a full 50% of the time, it's because my email at work sucks, and either hasn't sent the message, hasn't received the message, or is doing something else that makes it take an hour and a half for a delivery. So, during that lenghty amount of time, I sit there wondering if something that I said in my last message somehow offended the recipient to the point of their not wanting to talk to me any more. That's just my paranoia, though. I acknowledge that I'm part of the problem here. ;^) I also acknowledge that there often isn't anything necessary to reply to. Maybe I'll get all crazy like my boss and request read receipts on all of the emails I send.

In other news, my Stout is done, and is tasty-tasty.

3 comments:

areabassist said...

I long for the kind of technology that exists in Star Wars and Firefly...... function over form. I want a cell phone that that will last YEARS. That can stop BLASTER FIRE. I own a shotgun that is nearly 100 years old, that's been passed on from generation to generation.... it still functions perfectly. My phone? Not so much.

I also want a spunky engineer that likes strawberries to fix my car, but hey.... what are you going to do?

Ben said...

Although, "functions perfectly" is kind of a stretch when describing Star Wars and Firefly. The Falcon or Serenity would not fly at all without the likes of Han, Chewbacca, and Kaylee using brute force and duct tape to keep them in the sky. I'm still with ya, though.

areabassist said...

True, but the ships are totally fixable in the field. Things can be routed, configured, all on the fly. Wouldn't it be wicked awesome to be able to route power from your air conditioning to your engine to make your car go faster? (Actually, i had a car that did the opposite).

I wouldn't mind Kaylee using brute force and duct tape on me, if you know what I mean.