Anger, Nostalgia, and Old Man Winter

My morning at work started off with rapidly rising anger levels. One of my coworkers claimed that she was "too swamped" to continue with a phone application that she was taking, and transferred the call to me. She then came into my office and proceeded to have a trivial chat with another coworker of mine, in my office, while I was still on the phone doing her job for her. It felt like my veins were about to burst. The dagger stare that I gave her has so far served its purpose in keeping her out of my sight for the remainder of the day.

William Mitchell's yearly mailer thing came in the mail today, and Kerry and I were flipping through it over lunch. My undergrad school, the University of Minnesota, Morris sends out a very similar mailer, and it's funny to compare the two. Both of them (like the majority of other schools, I imagine) have a "class notes" section which details the accomplishments of the alumni. The difference between the two is that the notes in the Morris publication say things like "Suzy Queue ('02) Married Benny Hill ('00)" or "Jane Doe ('99) gave birth to baby daughter Matilda". This is in stark contrast with the majority of the notes from the Mitchell pamphlet, which say "Jed Jenkins ('06) joined the firm of Dewey, Cheatum and Howe" or something very similar. In other words, the major accomplishment of the majority of law school graduates is that they were actually able to get a job. This makes me astoundingly happy about my fairly secure future plans.

Dang...in order to procure the link above, I actually just visited the web site of my alma mater. It made me really miss the college days. I think that my wife is content to have moved on and grown up from the old college days of reckless abandon, but I still have a part of me that wishes I was still there. Maybe that's just a wish to be young. On the other hand, I look at the web site and see these pictures of kids. The term 'college kid' now seems so much more apt than it did while I was there. When I was in college, I felt like I was a grown up person capable of making rational decisions and whatnot (even though I proved myself wrong on more than a couple of occasions) but seriously...I looked like that! I wasn't any older than college students are now. They're a bunch of punk kids! I hope they stay out of my yard. Don't make me call the cops, whippersnappers!

So yeah, there's nostalgia when thinking about the years betwixt 1995 and 2000. At the same time, though, there's relief at being able to have moved on from there. I'm glad to have grown up. I'm glad to have moved on! I'm glad that someday I'll be able to write, in so many words "Ben got a lawyer job!", and that it can appear in both of the mailed publications from my schools. ;)

This ridiculously cold weather is making me want winter to be over. I know I'm not the only one. I'd much much rather be too hot than too cold. The cold weather and pervasive darkness start sinking a soul in an amazingly short amount of time. Winter blues aren't helped by the misnomer "Spring Semester", which just fills my thoughts of wearing shorts and playing golf. Unfortunately it's 24 degrees outside (Woo! Winter heatwave!) and there's a foot-thick blanket of snow and ice. BOO! Soon, though. I can lift my spirits with thoughts of a few months from now, grilling some burgers and enjoying a beer on the back patio. Soon enough.

No comments: