Sad

So yesterday was a crazy day. I started getting emails from my wife in the afternoon, saying that there were police cars over at my next-door neighbor's house. Two cars pulled up. Kerry was looking out the window trying to see what was going on. We didn't see our neighbor at all, but the police seemed interested in the garage.

She continued to email me with more details. More police came, bringing the total to four squad cars. Then a crime lab van pulled up. As I'm reading all of this, I'm just thinking "holy crap"... Kerry thought that his garage had been broken into, but it seemed to me that all of that police action was a little excessive for a break-in. The guy had some sweet cars in his garage, but still.

Everything was wrapped up by the time I got home, but there were still some of our neighbor's friends and relatives milling about, so Kerry went out to ask after our neighbor.

It turns out that he had been found dead in the garage yesterday morning. It was either from a heart attack or carbon monoxide poisoning.

We knew the guy. Not too well, but well enough for neighbors in this day and age. He was a nice guy, and young. I'd guess mid-40s, but I'm a bad judge. He was always very outgoing and talkative, and eager to have a good conversation. He lent me his lawnmower one day when mine was broken. I realize that these are all little things, but that's what our neighborly relationship was based on, and he was a really good guy. This is a really sad thing.

Our other-side neighbors sold their house, so we'll be getting new neighbors on both sides. (The neighbor that died lived there alone). It's selfish to say at a time like this, but I really hope we don't end up surrounded by idiots.

On to happier thoughts. This morning I had to go to a meeting at 7:00 AM (this is not a happy thought yet) and it was colder than a son of a bitch this morning (still not happy) but it meant that my wife got to sleep in (hey...not fair! And not a happy thought yet!) and I got to take my bundled up lil' girl in to daycare, just me and her. (OK, happier now). Since it was so cold, we could easily see our breath as we walked out to the car. I sat her in the car seat and she started going "Hoooo!" (blowing out) on purpose to see her own breath. I simply can't describe how cute that was. She did it for a good while, too...until the car heater finally made her breath invisible again.

I have a final tomorrow. It always sucks to have a final on a Saturday, and I've had two this year. But tomorrow is the last one. Woot! Unfortunately, much of my study time from last night was spent being distracted by Married to the Sea. So it goes. I'll study hard tonight.

No comments: