Getaway

OK, kids, I’ve got to apologize in advance, because today’s entry is going to look like a pretentious yuppie Bed and Breakfast review, which is a thousand kinds of dumb. Actually, I would love to live the life of a pretentious yuppie Bed and Breakfast reviewer; as long as I realized that I was a thousand kinds of dumb. Today, though, I’m just recapping my weekend. So there you have it. Moving on…

Kerry and I blasted out of town on Saturday headed for Stillwater, MN. We left the baby playing happily with Grandma, and both of them were all smiles as we took off. We headed up to the William Sauntry Mansion for the night, which was actually one of my Christmas presents to Kerry. She asked for time with her hubby, and I was happy to oblige. The little mini-vacation had to be postponed until now, because now is my spring break.

The Mansion is gorgeous. It’s an old Victorian home that was owned by Bing Crosby’s cousin, a lumber baron. I’ll post some pictures this evening. Our room kicked a whole lot of ass (this is me trying desperately to break away from the whole pretentious yuppie Bed and Breakfast review thing). We arrived at about 5:00 or so, and had hors’douvres and wine. We went to dinner later at the Grill at the Water Street Inn. It was fantastic. I had a coffee-encrusted steak with blue cheese sauce. It was holy-crap-good. Kerry had surf and turf, also good.

The next morning we had breakfast at (duh) the bed and breakfast, and it was also awesome. Grapefruit > Orange butter scones > Sun dried tomato and smoked gouda omelet > flourless chocolate cake. Everything tasted wonderful and the company was good as well (for the most part). The people that ran the place were funny, friendly, and easy to get along with. The whole experience gets the esteemed Stupid Ostrich Seal of Approval.

4 comments:

areabassist said...

Awesome! I'm a big fan of bed & breakfasts, though all of my experiences have been in Europe. We stayed at many on our honeymoon, which led to all manner of amusing conversations with strangers.

Also, the best omelette I ever had was at a b&b.

Though I've never played d&d at a b&b. That gives me a business idea!

rhyan/djay said...

I looked into staying at a bed & breakfast once but the whole idea of a "staying overnight at someone's house" vibe kind of freaked me out.

Ben said...

Yeah, I hear ya. It really wasn't like that here. The owners' area is completely separate. Each room has its own bathroom and whatnot...vibe was more like a really old, ornate hotel.

areabassist said...

That's much better if it's setup like a hotel. One of the places we stayed at (with the amazing omelette) was the ladies house, done up very nice, but there were still picture of ancestors and black and white pictures of grandparents in the bedroom. Neat, but not exactly... you know... mood setting.