I'm the Man

OK, I'll admit that that title was just for the Anthrax reference. Other than that, it's not terribly applicable, except that I actually am the man. Oh yes.

The long weekend was fun, stressful, and full of driving. As mentioned in the previous post, my weekend started at noon on Friday with the whole beer fiasco. It got better from there, though.

My girls and I left home at about 5:45, headed for Bemidji. I always like the drive up there in the summer…it seems more relaxing. Not so at 5:45 PM on a Friday before a holiday weekend, however. At that time, it’s just a freaking traffic nightmare.

Actually, traffic was moving along pretty well until we got out of the city a ways. Just before our exit in Clearwater, we slammed into the stop-and-go crud. Since the monster-girl was sound asleep by that point, I proceeded with my Bemidji-trip tradition of driving through Culver’s and gorging myself on butterburger goodness.

As we approached the Clearwater exit, travelling at a breakneck speed of like 3 miles an hour, we saw a sign that read “MAJOR delay, Clearwater exit.” Oh, woo hoo. I looked at Kerry and asked if she wanted me to take an alternate route. In true wifely fashion, she replied that it was up to me. I then said, “OK, but you have to promise not to be mad.” She nodded agreement, which I knew meant basically nothing. I flipped a coin in my head and opted to try a different route. Skipping over some details, I made it just about to Kerry’s breaking point on this lovely new path, and suddenly ended up exactly where I had meant to go. Everything turned out wonderful, and I owe it all to me being awesome. I'm the man! Yay, it's applicable after all!

A 3 ½ hour trip to Bemidji ended up taking 5 hours, but we got there and had a good (albeit windy) weekend. We headed to my parents’ lake cabin on Sunday night. We used the same tactic of leaving late so that Gwen would sleep, but she didn’t sleep at all. She didn’t really cry or anything, she just chilled out in the back seat and talked to herself about cows. Fine with me --I listened to Clutch.

The weather was chilly on Monday, but it was good to see my relatives and we had a really good time. We came back Monday night.

We saw an astounding amount of Huge Beings this weekend, throughout our travels. As far as I can remember, we either drove past or walked up to:

Paul Bunyan – Akeley
Paul Bunyan – Bemidji
Babe the Blue Ox – Bemidji
Native American – Bemidji
Niimii – Bemidji
St. Urho – Menahga
Big Ole – Alexandria

Ahh, Minnesota…land of huge doods. Kinda like a Lundo green deck.

2 comments:

areabassist said...

I learned long ago to never use the the expression "Promise you won't be mad", because regardless of the outcome, my wife will get mad.

Clearwater is always horrible on Fridays and Sundays, even more so on holiday weekends. We usually take Hwy 55 to Annandale, and then go to Clearwater.

Ben said...

ahh yes. You still would have been hosed on friday, as it was the clearwater to clear lake stretch of hwy 24 that was clogged. Going on 55 would actually be headed the opposite direction that we need to, unfortunately.