Rant time!

This weekend was a bit of a blur. I took half of the day off on Friday, and my girls and I headed out to Alexandria, MN. We stayed overnight there, because we had a discount at the AmericInn, and it was nicely close to our Saturday destination of Fergus Falls. (more on that in a second). Our stay was very nice, because our room was a Jacuzzi suite and Gwen slept very well. Kerry and I watched a couple of episodes of Miami Ink and hung out, and enjoyed too much wine. It was awesome.

The next day we went to Fergus for Kerry’s extended family belated Christmas. Gwen was the absolute star of the show, and everybody was just completely enamored with her. She’s such a cutie when she wants to be. Other times she’s not so cute.

Kerry and I have been watching True Blood, and I’m less than impressed. I have a bunch of mental hang-ups with the show, which stem from having read a couple of the books. This could get long.

My first problem is that people are so quick to trash Twilight and praise True Blood (or the Sookie Stackhouse books, take your pick). Here’s the thing, though: The movie version of Twilight was very faithful to the book, and it’s a good story. The film version of the Stackhouse novels is not nearly as true to the books, which you’d think would be fine since the books are just gorified (vampire version of glorified, © 2009 b33n3rcorp) trashy romance novels. The books are good reads, but nowhere near as engaging as Twilight. The problem with True Blood is that the changes that they make leave gaping holes and inconsistencies larger than the huge gap between Anna Paquin’s hideous teeth.

(spoilers follow)
First off, there’s the whole “V-Juice” crap. Yes, in the books vampires are drained and their blood is sold as a drug. But it’s not this huge Lucy in the Sky trip-out fest that’s going on in the series between Jason Stackhouse and the crazy girl from Weeds (a character who, in the books, is only mentioned over the course of like a paragraph because she’s found dead...whoops that might be a spoiler). Even in the series, Sookie has had vampire blood straight from a vampire two times thus far. It’s shown evidence of how it’s affecting her (when she sniffs out that half cracker under the couch way back in episode 2) but she’s never had the crazy hallucination thing happen. Why? Because it doesn’t. In the books Jason doesn’t even do any vampire blood.

Second, there’s the addition of Main Characters that aren’t even a part of the story. This isn’t nearly as big a deal, because these characters and their weird tangents actually add to what is otherwise a fairly dull series made interesting with occasional vampire sex. Tara, for example. She doesn’t enter the books until the last couple of chapters of book 2, and she’s a very minor character. None of that with the voodoo lady in the forest. Crazy girl from weeds, as mentioned before. Lafayette’s part is considerably bigger in the series as well. There’s no such thing as the character played by Milton from Office Space, either.

Oh well. I’m still entertained. I just wanted to rant a bit. And darnit, I’m not afraid to admit that I really enjoyed Twilight.

6 comments:

rhyan/djay said...

So what you're saying is they made a boring book series more interesting.... and that pisses you off?

;^)

I've not read any of the books, and I enjoyed the series.
I've not read Twilight either. This reminds me of the Terry Goodkind Vs Robert Jordan debates of yore, though.

rhyan/djay said...

I agree the vampire blood hallucination drug stuff is pretty stupid, though.
Although, then again. Tits.

Ben said...

LOL. No, the making more interesting part definitely does not piss me off. That's a positive. The hallucination thing pisses me off in that it just doesn't make sense. They could have at least tried to explain it, like "Oh, that doesn't affect sookie because she's a telepath" or something. It would be a stretch, but it would be something. Either way, I like the series enough to keep watching it.

LOL, in the first book, Sookie has vampire blood 3 times, although one time is an...ahem...injection of sorts...to um...heal...um... things that break and get sore when... um...when sookie "becomes a woman", you could say. That one made me literally scream "GAH!!!!" out loud.

Recalcitrant Haberdasher said...

Dude - I don't know what you're talking about. Anna Paquin is hot. Gap in the teeth and all (unless there's something they did different in the show . . .).

Ben said...

Oh, I never said to the contrary. I just mentioned her hideous teeth.

:^D

areabassist said...

I'm going to start reading Twilight soon. My wife has literally (ok, not literally, but figuratively) DEVOURED the books, draining them of their words as a vampire drains blood.